Re: st: Collapsing data to daily data

From   Brigham Whitman <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Collapsing data to daily data
Date   Wed, 2 Mar 2011 14:16:15 -0500

Yes, at first I wasn't going to collapse my data for a survival
analysis.  It is a huge data set (68 individual white-tailed deer with
a total of 72,000 data points with up to 4 data points per day per
deer), but Stata and R could handle it fine.  But my advisors for my
thesis said I should collapse the data, and another man I contacted
who has done the same analysis suggested I should collapse it, so I
did.  That man had mentioned something about how I might inadvertently
be increasing the amount of time each animal is at risk if I use
multiple locations per animal per day.  I can't say that I totally
understand why that is.  It does make more sense to me now to look at
daily data, and I've incorporated a 'Cumulative days of snow depth
over 38 cm' variable and running averages for certain variables over
14 and 28 day moving windows, which I am not sure how I would do if I
hadn't collapsed the data.  But yes, I should have a better idea of
why I would "coarsen" my data and lose some of that accuracy.  Thank
you for the input.

-Brigham Whitman