Re: st: Reproducing results - was managing updates

From   Argyn Kuketayev <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Reproducing results - was managing updates
Date   Wed, 2 Mar 2011 11:59:40 -0500

we use SVN. at the moment i'm thinking about disabling all automatic
updates, and creating snapshots of Stata, and updating it in a
controlled manner on dev machines. source control systems are not so
good with binary files, they store them as is. it's unfortunate that
Stata can't track the exact state of the environment by a build
number. they suggested me to use external backup/restore utilities. no
big deal, just one more thing to worry.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Brendan Halpin <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 02 2011, Argyn Kuketayev wrote:
>
>> that's why i
>> was surprised that Stata didn't seem to have a standard revision
>> control procedures. the re-produceability of results is a big thing to
>> me.
>
> Why not set up your own revision control system? Use git or something
> equivalent to create snapshots of the Stata executable(s) and the ado
> hierarchy? You could even get Stata to output the revision number/status
> if you wrote it to the stata.msg file.
>
> Brendan
> --
> Brendan Halpin,  Department of Sociology,  University of Limerick,  Ireland
> Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F1-009 x 3147
> mailto:[email protected]  http://www.ul.ie/sociology/brendan.halpin.html
> *
> *   For searches and help try:

Argyn Kuketayev