Re: st: Log Transformation of Variable

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Log Transformation of Variable
Date   Mon, 28 Feb 2011 09:21:57 +0000

I'm pleased that you now have apparently got what you wanted. But note that

-ln(variable)

is not correctly described in words as multiplying by the negative of
the logarithm. There is no multiplication involved here. That quantity
is the negative logarithm of the variable.

I am curious also that the extra constant exp(1) ~ 2.71828 is wanted
here. For example, it makes no different to the linearity of any
relationship or the skewness or kurtosis of any distribution.

Nick