RE: st: Stata SE 11.1 memory problem

From   "Liao, Junlin" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Stata SE 11.1 memory problem
Date   Sat, 26 Feb 2011 19:38:39 +0000

I did some test on my system (Win7 64 bit ultimate with 4 GB physical memory). I can assign to Stata (11 SE) 2 or 3 GB or even beyond 4 GB. I set it to 4.5 GB and saw no ill effect on my computer. My guess is that Stata does not actuarially request the amount of memory you set. It only request the memory when it needs so. But the setting is a maximum just like everything else.

Junlin
From: [email protected] [[email protected]] on behalf of Rebecca Pope [[email protected]]
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:00 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Stata SE 11.1 memory problem

Just to recap:
1. You have a 64-bit OS (you still haven't told us which you are
using) _and_ 64-bit Stata - This was in one of the posts that Eric
sent, so I assume you checked it & this wasn't the problem.
2. Your 64-bit OS does not have any memory caps, again from Eric.
3. Your computer is recognizing all of the memory that is installed &
a sufficiently large amount of it is available for use.

I'm still trying to understand the sequence of events, because it
almost sounds like you've got two problems. You say in your original
post you can "only use memory upto 1300m in Stata." So, problem (1)
When you tell Stata -set mem 1500m- (here I'm just picking some number
greater than 1300), you are getting a message that says "op. sys.
refuses to provide memory". You don't report the error message, but
that's what I infer from the statement about only being able to use
1300m.

Problem (2), as I understand it, is that you've set your memory to the
maximum you can (1300 MB) but this is somehow insufficient for Stata
to read in a dataset that is 244 MB and merge it with a smaller
dataset (your reference to "no room to add observations"). This
frankly seems implausible to me and would be an interesting puzzle. Is
this what is happening?

Regards,
Rebecca