st: numlabel gives syntax error on one specific dataset

From   Graham Wright <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: numlabel gives syntax error on one specific dataset
Date   Wed, 23 Feb 2011 09:08:50 -0500

So I've often used the command

numlabel, add force

to make sure I can see the numeric values of the labels of the variable I'm working with and it usually works fine, but on this one dataset the command doesn't work. I get the following error message when I try

nothing found where subexp expected
r(3000);

and r(3000) says that it's a Mata syntax error message, but I'm not using mata!

I even get the error when I generate the complete syntax using the pull down menu:

. numlabel, add mask("#. ")
nothing found where subexp expected

But this is only on one specific dataset, On every other dataset I open the command works fine, so obviously it's not a syntax error, despite what the error message says. I can't think of anything weird about this specific dataset that would cause this command to give me a syntax error there and work everywhere else, but I don't even know where to look.

Anyone have any advice? I'm running version 11 and just updated today, but that didn't fix the problem.

-Graham Wright