Re: st: Compress a closed file

From   Daniel Feenberg <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Compress a closed file
Date   Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:34:10 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Mohamad Al Ississ wrote:

Hi,
The file I'm trying to open a file that's too large for my Stata's memory (I
maxes the memory setting). I get the "no room to add more observations..."
error. I know that if I compress the file, it'll solve the problem. Is there
a way to compress the file w/o opening it?
Thanks!

There is a Stata FAQ on dealing with datasets too large to fit into memory, that involves dividing the dataset into N sections, and subsetting each section to extract the analysis variables, and finally appending the subsets into an analysis dataset. See:

  http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/dataset.html

I think an easier procedure is to simply separate the sample selection and analysis steps, and describe that in:

  http://www.nber.org/sys-admin/large-stata-datasets.html

The 2-step procedure will be considerably less code than the N-step procedure for many jobs, and may be faster.

Daniel Feenberg
NBER