Re: st: Comparing two different Correlation Coefficents

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Comparing two different Correlation Coefficents
Date   Mon, 21 Feb 2011 15:30:22 +0000

To compare Spearman correlation coefficients, you probably have to use the bootstrap (using the -bootstrap- prefix) or the jackknife (using the -jackknife- prefix). However, to compare the Kendall tau-a correlation coefficient between X and Z and the Kendall tau-a coefficient between Y and Z, you can use the -somersd- package, downloadable from SSC, together with -lincom-. As in:

somersd z x y, taua transf(z) tdist
lincom (x-y)/2

The -somersd- package is distributed with a suite of .pdf manuals, which explain the methods in more detail. The on-line help contains references for Stata Journal articles, which can be downloaded from the Stata Journal website at
http://www.stata-journal.com/archives.html

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger