RE: st: RE: Defining input and output variables when calling a program

From   Svend Juul <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Defining input and output variables when calling a program
Date   Wed, 16 Feb 2011 15:48:09 +0100

This looks perfect, Nick. My problem is, I don't know how to get there. Could you give a hint?

Svend

This isn't impossible, but first let's explore another possibility.
How do you feel about the syntax
svendsational varlist, Generate(newvarlist)
? -- because that's relatively easy.
Nick
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>

Svend Juul
I want to develop a command (ado-file) that takes as the input the responses to a number of questions and as output generates new variables, much as the reponses to the 36 questions in the SF-36 questionnaire are used to generate 8 scales. I want the command to be flexible; the names of the input and output variables being defined when calling the program, not by modifying the program.
If the program name is xxx, the input variables are q1-q15 and the output variables s1-s5, I want to be able to call the program by something like:
  . xxx q1-q15 s1-s5
The following is not legal; apparently you cannot have both a -varlist- and a -newvarlist-:
  . syntax varlist(min=15 max=15) newvarlist(min=5 max=5)
If I combine the input and output variables in a single -varlist- I get an error message because all variables must exist in the dataset beforehand:
  . syntax varlist(min=20 max=20)
... - unless I generate the output variables (e.g., as missing) before calling the program, but that seems to me to be a clumsy solution.
Any suggestions?

Svend Juul
Phone:  +45 8693 7796
Mobile:  +45 2634 7796
Email:    [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>