Re: st: Interactions between tsset and sort

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Interactions between tsset and sort
Date   Sun, 13 Feb 2011 10:18:57 +0000

I'd suggest that the minimum for a -*set- command would allow
declaration of identifier variables and optiionally a preferred sort
order. Off the top of my head some common types of spatial data are

area           name_identifier (location information held indirectly if at all)
point_2d     x_coordinate, y_coordinate
point_3d     x_coordinate, y_coordinate, z_coordinate
line            from_identifiers, to_identifiers (arbitrary)
flow           from_identifiers, to_identifiers (NOT arbitrary)

and I'd recommend that you choose one of two paths:

1. You code for yourself in the spirit of "If you have the same
problem, you are welcome to use my code".

2. You code very openly allowing users to set any number of identifier
variables and to declare a type of spatial data that you have not even
thought of or encountered yourself.

Nick