st: working with dictionary

From   Tharshini Thangavelu <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: working with dictionary
Date   Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:34:30 +0100

Hi,

I am going to work with links to raw survey data with the corresponding
data dictionary.

The data file is saved as a zip file, which I saved at my desktop and
extracted the mapp. In the extracted mapp I found a file which was saved
under dat. file. I though that it was as easy as opening a dta.file.
However, this was not the case.  The data dictionary is a txt. file. I got
both the data file and the data dictionary as an internet link. How do I
proceed with this?

I have been working with STATA alot but not so much with these types of
files, could someone help me out to open the file in STATA and also explain
the logic behind it?

I have done a background search, and normally using the following syntax
should work:
However, my datafile is saved as dat.file and NOT as dct.file. Futher, how
can I know about my list of variables inorder to use the infile command?

infile varlist using th.dct

Should I use the information given in the txt.file, which I am guessing
from seeing the document that its about the variables and rewrite it like a
"codebook" by creating a dictionary file using a notepad, wordpad or the
do-file editor in Stata and then save as a dct.file.?

Thanks