Re: AW: RE: RE: st: Unit roots in non linear regression models

From   Syed Basher <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: AW: RE: RE: st: Unit roots in non linear regression models
Date   Fri, 11 Feb 2011 03:12:02 -0800 (PST)

Hi Johannes,

You have asked three questions. My answers are in boldface (don't know if they
satisfy you):

- Whether the spurious regression problem due to integrated time series is
also a problem with nonlinear regression models

>> Yes, if xt and yt are I(1), that is unit root, they matter for both linear and
>>non-linear models.

- If the answer is yes: how can I test whether spurious regression is a
problem in my nonlinear model?

>> If you suspect a non-linear relationship, why not check for the existence of a
>>non-linear cointegration? I don't know whether Stata has a routine for this, but
>>I know you can obtain a code in Gauss. From the definition of your variables, it
>>appears that a long-run relationship is possible.

- If spurious regression is a problem in my model: what are possible
remedies?

>> Simple, check the economic theory behind your model.

Hope this helps.

Syed Basher
Qatar National Food Security Programme