Re: st: How to read a very old SPSS file?

From   "Michael N. Mitchell" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to read a very old SPSS file?
Date   Fri, 04 Feb 2011 18:27:53 -0800

Dear Stephen

I fret that this may be a bordeline hopeless situation. When I was back at UCLA working on our mainframe version of SPSS, we encountered situations like this frequently. The SPSS binary file in EBCDIC format needs to be read using an IBM mainframe version of SPSS. Converting the binary file into ASCII does not aid in the reading of the file, and all it really does is mangle the file. You can see in the -hexdump- command that a majority of the characters are not really ASCII characters.

If it was a matter of life and death to read this file, there are two ways I can imagine doing reading this file...

1) finding a place that has SPSS running on an IBM mainframe and ask them to convert the file into an SPSS portable (.por) file. The EBCDIC file would need to be transferred, and if you use FTP be sure to use BINARY transfer protocol. That could then be read by a modern version of SPSS or probably Stat/Transfer. It is possible that SPSS may still have such a computer, or be able to refer you to someone who owns one.

2) Locate a document that describes the exact IBM mainframe file format of the SPSS file and write a program that reads the file, byte by byte, acconting for the EBCDIC format. In short, you would be writing your own version of Stat/Transfer specifically for reading IBM mainframe SPSS EBCDIC files.

I hope this helps,

Best luck!

Michael N. Mitchell
Data Management Using Stata      - http://www.stata.com/bookstore/dmus.html