Re: st: Richard Sperling

From   [email protected] (William Gould, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Richard Sperling
Date   Wed, 02 Feb 2011 09:31:40 -0600

Kit Baum <[email protected]> posted on Statalist a note from his
dying friend Richard Sperling.

It was the classiest exit yet.  I would have liked Richard.
His letter made me cry and smile at the same time.

To make my reponse appropriate for Statalist, I note that in the midst
of his note, Richard expressed a policy view, and separately used a
word that we would normally want to keep off of Statalist.  I suggest
we change the guidelines for Statalist so that, if you want to make a
posting after death, you can say any damned thing you want.  My
proposal is practical as much as anything.  What are we going to do,
cancel your subscription?

In the meantime, I'm so impressed by Richard's note I'm tempted to
prepare my own.  Except it would seem derivative.  And early.  I hope.

Best wishes to all,

-- Bill
[email protected]

Just in case you missed it, here's what Richard wrote,

    Hi all,

    Thank you all so much for your love, companionship, and friendship. I
    apologize for leaving early, but I really didn't have much say in the
    matter.  I trust you understand. :-)

    For those of you who are relatives or close friends of my brother,
    David, please support him through this difficult time and be there for
    him in the future. He could use a few siblings.

    I hope you all have good, happy, and, healthy lives. And try not to
    get stressed out by what I consider trivial things like traffic jams,
    the possibility of missing a flight, and the ups and downs of the
    stock market.  Take it from someone who knows about stress. Life
    really is too short. Make the most of it and enjoy!

    Finally, please support intelligent and well thought out public
    policies that help those in society who are less fortunate than we
    are. The social safety net in this country is in great need of repair.

    Oh yes, I almost forgot, FUCK CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    With much love and gratitude, Richard

<end>