re: st: choice of ANOVA for an ecological experiment

From   "Airey, David C" <[email protected]>
Subject   re: st: choice of ANOVA for an ecological experiment
Date   Mon, 31 Jan 2011 09:57:43 -0600

.

A split plot for the simplest design might have sex as the between
subject factor and another factor repeatedly measured on each person as the
within subject factor. Here each person is a whole plot and the
repeated measures are the split plots. Sex is often also treated
as a whole plot fixed effect factor in this model. Subject is nested
in sex, but crossed with treatment, leading to a mixed ANOVA.

anova outcome sex / subject|sex treatment sex#treatment /, repeated(treatment)

That is the Stata command for the simplest split plot design.

You could also find more on this syntax here:

<http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/anova2.html#wsanova2>

and in the Stata manual for nested and mixed designs.

Your design sounds like a oneway ANOVA in each pond, if you use
summary stats for each enclosure rather than measures on each
prey animal (e.g., eaten/not eaten, weight, size). I guess the
enclosure is the experimental unit here, so using summary stats is
OK. But you want an omnibus test across ponds.

This is kind of confusing, because pond is a fixed effect in your
words, and you did not randomize fish to the ponds; you randomized
density of predators to enclosures of fish native to each pond.

Certainly, fish are then nested in ponds, and at some level, you
crossed fish with density of predation.

-Dave