RE: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: comparing yearly surveys (graphs)

From   Lucie Vlach <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: comparing yearly surveys (graphs)
Date   Wed, 26 Jan 2011 09:34:02 -0700

Thank you very much!
I will try this.

Lucie

From: [email protected] [[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox [[email protected]]
Sent: January 25, 2011 2:31 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: comparing yearly surveys (graphs)

The data at that URL are % very or somewhat satisfied with how
democracy works in various Latin American countries in three years. To
give the flavour, I read a few values very roughly off the graph.

country   satisf   year
      Uruguay       52   1996
      Uruguay       56   2001
      Uruguay       78   2010
   Costa Rica       50   1996
   Costa Rica       50   2001
   Costa Rica       61   2010
        Chile       26   1996
        Chile       22   2001
        Chile       58   2010

The graph is sorted by values in 2010. One way to ensure that is to
put those in a variable.

bysort country (year) : gen satisf2010 = satisf[_N]

Then we use -graph dot-

. graph dot (asis) satisf, over(year) over(country, sort(satisf2010)
desc) asyvars marker(1, ms(Oh)) marker(2, ms(X)) marker(3, ms(Dh))
legend(row(1) pos(12))

As there would be some occlusion otherwise, I used markers Oh and X
that remain visible even with overplotting or major overlap.

To get to this situation from raw scores on a 5 point scale, you would
need to do something like this beforehand.

gen is_satisf = 100 * inlist(score, 4,5)
egen satisf = mean(is_satisf), by(country year)

In fact that could be just

egen satisf = mean(100 * inlist(score, 4,5)), by(country year)

There are many other ways to do it. On -inlist()- see

SJ-6-4  dm0026  . . . . . . Stata tip 39: In a list or out? In a range or out?
        Q4/06   SJ 6(4):593--595                                 (no commands)
        tip for use of inlist() and inrange()

Nick