Re: st: r(610)

From   "POPE, REBECCA" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: r(610)
Date   Tue, 25 Jan 2011 08:37:14 -0600

If Aggie is already asking her friend to send a new data set, is it preferable for her to ask for her friend to save the existing Stata set using the -saveold- command? I'm away from my computer right now so if someone else could confirm that would be great, but I think that would preserve any formatting, labels, notes, etc that Aggie's friend had applied to the data. That would save Aggie duplicating any pre-analysis prep work.

Rebecca

Sent from my Blackberry.
Best,
RP

----- Original Message -----
From: Nick Cox [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 07:23 AM
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: st: r(610)

Start with -help infiling-.

By the way, Stata makes a distinction between upgrading
(floor(version) increases) and updating (it doesn't). You need an
upgrade. Your upgrade would get you Stata 11.0 after which you can
update to Stata 11.1.

Nick

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Aggie Chidlow
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Thank you for your advise, Nick.
>
> As I am currently waiting to update Stata and don't want to waste
> time, would you mind telling me how I can read her data from the text
> file? Advance apologies if this is a silly question.
>

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Your friend needs to use -saveold- to save her data. Or you need to
>> upgrade. Or you need to read in her data from a text file.
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Aggie Chidlow
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I  am using Stata 9.2 and I have recently been given a dataset from a
>>> friend who is using Stata 10.
>>> I can't open the dataset as the error r(610) comes up. I guess (not
>>> sure if I am correct) it is due to the fact that my Stata is older
>>> than hers.
>>>
>>> Can somebody tell me how to resove it (if it is at all possible), please?
>>> I will be very thankful for your advise/suggestions.

confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply
e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message..