Re: st: Install ado Files on Mac (different from Windows PC?)

Subject   Re: st: Install ado Files on Mac (different from Windows PC?)
Date   Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:19:27 -0500

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 3:11 AM, Nils Braakmann
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently downloaded some .ado and .hlp Files from an author's
> private web page (not set up as a Stata download page). To install
> them the author recommended simply copying them into the appropriate
> personal folder (found by -adopath-). Being a former Windows user I
> remember that this approach always worked fine. However, after doing
> the same on my Mac Stata does not seem to be able to find the file
> (i.e., gives the error messages you would expect when a file simply
> does not exist). Is there anything fundamentally different with
> installing ado-files on a Mac? (If not I probably messed up somewhere,
> although I am not entirely sure how I could have managed to do that
> with copying a file, which seems simple enough...)

Hi, Nils,

1. When installing ado files, Stata sorts them into the a,b,c, ... etc
 subdirectories
of the plus folder. You may want to study this behavior and make sure you put
your files accordingly as this may influence which files are findable.

2. Try to -findfile- your files and see whether they are visible. If
they are not, then
it is probably not the permissions problem (or it is folder permissions).

3. You can always create a .pkg file yourself and -adoinstall- using it.

4. The command may not be compatible with Mac, e.g. when it is looking for a
platform-specific plugin, and there is no version for your platform.

5. You may want to -set trace on- and see whether Stata can't find the file
corresponding to the command you are executing, or some other file that this
command depends on. Many commands have additional dependencies, which
you also need to install in order for the main command to work.

Best, Sergiy Radyakin