Re: st: GPU use in Stata 12?

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: GPU use in Stata 12?
Date   Tue, 11 Jan 2011 17:15:56 +0000

weig2011/1/11 László Sándor <[email protected]>:
> Hi,
>
> I use Stata 11.1 on a Mac. I will be shopping for new hardware
> shortly, and I would be grateful for any updates or educated guesses
> on the GPU use of the upcoming release.
>
> Two years ago, when Snow Leopard and Stata 11 were coming out, there
> was a conclusion that Stata 11 will not support OpenCL or use CUDA
> (like Matlab or Mathematica...), as the Nvidia chips at the time (and
> still used in the configuration currently on sale) could not make
> double precision floating point calculations.
>
> Two years later, you might know more about recent GPUs (and some
> rumors about what is going into the upcoming mac product line?) and/or
> Mac OS X 10.7 scheduled for "this summer." Of course, many fellow
> statalisters would care more about PC hardware for Stata.
>
> I might spend a few hundred dollars extra for a dedicated GPU in a
> laptop in case Stata can make use of that. (I heard speed improvement
> by orderS of magnitude possible) But it would be nice to get some
> advance notice before Stata 12 actually comes out. My hardware upgrade
> cannot wait until the summer, but I don't want the new piece become
> obsolete that soon either.

You might find the following article which compared the performance of
GPU to multi-threaded CPU for some computationally heavy analysis and
found that if done correctly there is no real difference between the
two...

http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/content/27/2/284.abstract?etoc

Oh, and hardware is hardware regardless of the OS that runs on it
(even more so since Apple started using Intel's chips a few years
back).

Neil

--
"Our civilization would be pitifully immature without the intellectual
revolution led by Darwin" - Motoo Kimura, The Neutral Theory of

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://kimura.no-ip.org/