Re: Re: st: Direction of the effect of the cluster command on the standard error depends on the inclusion of a control variable

Subject   Re: Re: st: Direction of the effect of the cluster command on the standard error depends on the inclusion of a control variable
Date   Thu, 6 Jan 2011 08:59:29 -0500

Kit-
Useful to think of super-obs but not quite right.  If you have 50
clusters and 100 regressors (with a few thousand obs) but you are only
interested in testing one coefficient, you will typically be fine,
i.e. you will have negligible bias in the SE thus getting correct
inference on average with the CRSE, and it may often be the case that
no alternative approach gets you correct inference (except resampling
clusters for a cluster-robust bootstrap).  So estimating a regression
with 50 obs and 100 coefficients is not quite the right analogy--more
useful to think of the "effective" sample size as between M (number of
clusters) and N (number of obs), computable using "roh" per Kish, L.
(1965), Survey Sampling, New York: Wiley (note that the CRSE is also
the standard svy estimator).