st: Teaching Stata to Pubic Health Students

From   J Michael Oakes <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Teaching Stata to Pubic Health Students
Date   Wed, 22 Dec 2010 09:46:51 -0600

Greetings - My colleagues and I are once again trying to decide how best to train our Masters of Public Health (MPH) students in applied data analysis *AND* data preparation and mgt. The latter stuff always takes the most of my time but rarely gets taught or emphasized in the classroom where fancy models seem to dominate.

Although I've taught Stata here for nearly ten years, many colleagues still "promote" SAS. The problem with this is most MPH students never really "get SAS" and struggle through their thesis and beyond. My Stata students do much better -- it's not me, it's Stata and Scott Long's super Workflow book.

Was hoping members of this list might comment on what software (esp SAS v Stata) and *data management* courses they offer their masters/graduate students. I am particularly interested in comments from Public Health faculty but insights from anyone would be most welcome.

Best Wishes - Michael

--
J. Michael Oakes, Ph.D.
McKnight Presidential Fellow