st: RE: How to creata a database for stata and country dummies

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: How to creata a database for stata and country dummies
Date   Thu, 9 Dec 2010 12:35:09 +0000

The Statalist FAQ is clear:

"Please do not post homework questions, and please ignore any that are posted."

Otherwise put, as this is, in your own words, an assignment, it appears that you should answer it yourself.

Léon Stam

I try to keep it short. For my assignment I have the dependent variable value added and the independent variables R&D expenditure and  unit labor cost for 15 countries and 20 years.
I have to make a ordinary least square regression (OLS) with a country dummy variable.
Now I don't know exactly how to make my database and how to make a country dummy. Now I have the years on the vertical axes and on the horizontal axes R&D expenditure per country (R&D germany, R&D france etc), I did this also for the unit labor costs. Or is it easier to put all the R&D expenditure in one column and make another column for the country? Do I have to make the dummy variable in my database or can I use Stata for creating this?