Re: st: effects-type coding of attributes in discrete choice modeling

From   "Nils Wloemert" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: effects-type coding of attributes in discrete choice modeling
Date   Sat, 27 Nov 2010 20:14:21 +0100

thanks a lot, this works great!

however, I still have difficulties estimating the model. before I will estimate the nested model, I would like to replicate the non-nested logit result I got using a different software package (latent gold choice) which fits McFadden's conditional logit choice model. I computed a 1-segment solution which I assume to produce the same result as the asclogit in Stata (which also fits McFadden's model). Is this assumtion correct? Latent gold estimates the model based on choice as the dependent variable, the different attributes as independet variables and the caseID and choice-setID as indicators for the cases and alternatives.

using clogit and linear coding of attributes, the results of both packages match quite closely. however, using effect-coding, 3 levels are omitted because of collinearity in Stata (which does not occur in latent gold) and results differ significantly between the software packages.

using asclogit, the same 3 levels are omitted and the model does not converge. as in latent gold, choice (1,0 dummy) is defined as dependent variable, the attributes as independent variables (price linear, all other effect-coded) and respondentID serves as case identifier and alternativeID as identifier of the alternative. please note, that unlike in latent gold, it is not possible to use the choice-setID as an indicator for the alternatives in Stata, because this would mean 4 lines with the same ID per respondent (case) in the data set which is not allowed: "variable alternative has replicate levels for one or more cases; this is not allowed", i.e., a unique identifier for each alternative per respondent is used instead but the model does not converge.

any help on how to define the model correctly is much appreciated!

thanks,

nils.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

GRATIS! Movie-FLAT mit über 300 Videos.