st: ICE conditional option and categorical variables

From   A Loumiotis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: ICE conditional option and categorical variables
Date   Thu, 18 Nov 2010 16:39:48 +0200

Hi,
I have a question in ICE. Suppose I have five continuous variables
(var1-var5) and a categorical variable (call it catvar1 with 3)  all
with some observations missing.  Suppose also that catvar1 defines
conditions for other variables to be answered ie, var1: catvar1==1,
var2: catvar1==2, var3: catvar1==4.

In the following ice command is the conditional option correct?
  ice var1-var5 m.catvar1, ... cond(var1: catvar1==1, var2:
catvar1==2, var3: catvar1==4)

Or should I transform it in terms of the corresponding dummy variables
of catvar1 and adjust the mainvarlist accordingly?
  ice var1-var5 catvar1a catvar1b, ... cond(var1: catvar1a==1, var2:
catvar1b==1, var3: catvar1a==0 & catvar1b==0)
where catvar1a=1 if catvar1==1
and    catvar1b=1 if catvar1==2

It seems to me that the latter is the case but I'm not sure.  For sure
if the latter is the case then matters are complicated when someone
has many categorical variables as basis for conditions.

Thanks,
Antonis Loumiotis