Re: st: maps with spmap

Subject   Re: st: maps with spmap
Date   Wed, 17 Nov 2010 11:58:44 -0500

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 11:40 AM, sara borelli <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear Statalisters,
> I created some maps for US counties using spmap.
> I then saved them as stata graph and copied into word, but the size of the files is pretty large.
> I am not sure if there is a way to save those maps in a format that creates smaller files and  that can then be imported into word

If you are exporting to vector formats (like wmf, emf, etc) you may
want to reduce the number of points in the map.
Put your shapefile through the MapShaper tool here: mapshaper.org
and get a much more manageable map

If you are exporting to rastrer formats (like png, tiff, etc) then the
file should be pretty small, and you can make it smaller by adjusting
the image size (see png export options width= and height=).

I'd recommend having the best quality in your Word document. If you
are preparing files for the internet, you can downgrade quality at a
later stage, e.g. when converting to PDF, select a proper option.

You might also be interested in ADePT Maps:
http://go.worldbank.org/ODS4NKQBB0

Best, Sergiy Radyakin