st: R: Kruskal-Wallis equality-of-populations rank test

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: Kruskal-Wallis equality-of-populations rank test
Date   Sat, 13 Nov 2010 12:17:05 +0100

Momo wrote:

"-2- some variables I got results with 1st type 1st var as follows.

chi-squared = 290.697 with 172 d.f.
probability = 0.0001

chi-squared with ties = 388.261 with 172 d.f.
probability = 0.0001"

Whenever groups of tied scores come alive in KruskalWallis (KW) test, the
ranks that should be assigned are averaged, and the average rank is
assigned, instead.
The test statistic T is different in presence and in absence of ties: this
explains the difference in the results Stata gave you excluding and
including ties.

For more on KW (pag. 288-300) and on nonparametric tests at large, I would
recommend you to look up to Conover WJ. Practical nonparametric statistics.
Third ed. New York: Wiley, 1999.

Kind Regards,
Carlo