RE: st: RE: Knowing how a variable was generated

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Knowing how a variable was generated
Date   Mon, 1 Nov 2010 16:26:42 +0000

-defv- (John R. Gleason, STB) was one of the older programs referenced in the help for -labgen- (SSC), referred to in one of my replies. John jumped to R without looking back around 2001, so no update is likely there.

But fair's fair: -defv- explains itself as a wrapper for -generate- and -replace- and does not purport to work with -egen-. Still less will it, or any other program of this kind, work for variables generated as side-effects of many commands.

Just to spell out for anyone confused that your approach using -notes- is the easiest way to define characteristics, as mentioned earlier in the thread. That is, "using -notes-" and "using characteristics" are particular and general versions of the same strategy.

Richard Goldstein

note that there is a program for this, -defv-; use -findit-

however, this program does not work with -egen- and does not work with
-by- (and does not always work with Stata 11 either)

Ulrich Kohler

> In principle it is also possible to store this information as note:
>
> . sysuse auto
> . gen x = weight - 1
> . note x: gen x = weight - 1
>
> . replace x = weight +1
> . note x : replace x = weight + 1
>
> . note x
>
> Clearly it is possible to write programms (i.e. -gennote- and
> -replacenote-) that do this automatically. The question however arise
> why someone who is not willing to give away his do-files should use
> these programs when creating a data set ...

Louis Boakye-Yiadom

That's correct. I'm looking at a situation where the do-file is not available. Indeed, often you may have to work with a dataset for which you played no role in the generation of the variables. Thanks.

Nick Cox

>>> Indeed. But Louis' question, and my
>>> answers, presuppose that was not done.

Michael McCulloch

>>> Wouldn't it be sufficient to simple record the work in a
>>> do-file that documents the command:
>>>     gen B = (A*C) + D, or
>>>     gen B = A*(C + D)?

>>> definitions of variables as they generate or replace them.
>>> See e.g. -labgen- from SSC and especially its references.

>>> characteristics to record the definition of variables --
>>> then your problem is indeed soluble.

>>> you knew that definitions were stored that way it's hard to
>>> see why your question arises.

Louis Boakye-Yiadom

>>>  Nick, thanks for the reply. I was thinking that if it's
>>> possible for Stata to store information on the generation of
>>> the variable (at least in simple cases), it might be
>>> possible to have this feature in Stata.

Nick Cox

>>> from X,
>>> clue.