RE: st: RE: Knowing how a variable was generated

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: Knowing how a variable was generated
Date   Mon, 01 Nov 2010 10:43:45 +0100

I principal it is also possible to store this information as note:

. sysuse auto
. gen x = weight - 1
. note x: gen x = weight - 1

. replace x = weight +1
. note x : replace x = weight + 1

. note x

Clearly it is possible to write programms (i.e. -gennote- and
-replacenote-) that do this automatically. The question however arise
why someone who is not willing to give away his do-files should use
these programs when creating a data set ...

Uli