st: new variables creation with unbalanced panel

From   Laura <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: new variables creation with unbalanced panel
Date   Tue, 12 Oct 2010 19:41:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, I am very new at using STATA. Sorry for the previous post, in which the
panel looked all wrong.
I am using an unbalanced panel of the form:

country year x y diff_x average_y initial_x
A 1 xA1 yA1
A 2 xA2 yA2 xA2-xA1 AVG(yA2:yA1) xA1
A 3  yA3
A 4  yA4
A 5 xA5 yA5 xA5-xA2 AVG(yA5:yA2) xA2
B 1  yB1
B 2 xB2 yB2
B 3  yB3
B 4 xB4 yB4 xB4-xB2 AVG(yB4:YB2) xB2

Basically, variable x has many missing values while y is available for all
years.

I need to create 3 types of new variables (as in the last 3 columns of the
table):

1) a variable that for each country will equal the difference between two
consecutive available x values.(diff_x)
2) a variable that for each country will take the value the average of all y's
available between  two consecutive available x values. (average_y)
3) a variable that for each country, for each available x takes the value of the

previous observed x. (initial_x)

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Laura