st: RE: RE: Graphing: How to suppress labels on second y axis

From   "McDermaid, Cameron" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Graphing: How to suppress labels on second y axis
Date   Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:41:02 -0400

I've made a tweak to Nick's suggestion below.  One rationale for using 2 axes was that the primary Y axis is one scale that can vary with the data and the second Y axis is fixed from 0 -1 . Using Nick's suggested script below uses the alert's actual value (missing, 1) is plotted on the primary Y axis and is often out of scale as to be not easily seen, depending on the line graph data.

What I've done is adjust the alert value (1) to the maximum value of the data in the line plot then back to 1 once the plot is done.

e.g.

quietly: sum `lev'normalized
local maxval: display `r(max)'
replace alert`lev'= alert`lev'*`maxval'  /*adjusts alert to maximum value in line plot */

do the plot with || dropline `lev'normalized adm_date if alert`lev'<., ms(i)

replace alert`lev'=alert`lev'/`maxval'  /*adjusts back to 1 for the next plot loop*/

This seems to be working.  Thanks again to Nick for a kick in the right direction.

- cam

--
Cameron McDermaid MHSc
Epidemiologist

Not everything that can be counted counts; and not everything that counts can be counted - George Gallup