st: test for homogeneous odds ratios in D+L random effects model

From   Jonathan Sterne <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: test for homogeneous odds ratios in D+L random effects model
Date   Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:05:34 +0100

Hi - you need meta-regression implemented in the Stata command metareg - I recommend that you read Roger Harbord's recent article in the Stata Journal.

Best wishes

Jonathan Sterne

--On 30 September 2010 02:33 -0400 statalist-digest <[email protected]> wrote:

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 11:33:55 -0500
From: Xin Lu <[email protected]>
Subject: st: test for homogeneous odds ratios in D+L random effects model

We are collaborating with some investigators off site on a
meta-analysis regarding mortality of tele-ICU?implementation (Post
versus Pre). We are using STATA metan package to conduct D+L random
effects model to pool the odds ratios of mortality from various
studies, and also conducting subgroup analysis based on vendor
affiliation (vendor affiliated versus not vendor affiliated). The
investigators off site asked us to test for homogeneous odds ratios
between the two subgroups (vendor affiliated versus not vendor
affiliated). However, as far as we can find, such test (breslow-day
test) can only be performed using fixed inverse variance model, which
differs from the D+L random effects model we are using. They insisted
there should be a way to do it. We are not expert on meta-analysis,
and therefore we can't say for sure there is no way to achieve it.

Any insights?

Thanks a million!
Xin

----------------------

Jonathan Sterne
Professor of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology
School of Social and Community Medicine
University of Bristol
Canynge Hall
39 Whatley Road