st: RE: Re: How to perform calculations on a set of tempvars

Subject   st: RE: Re: How to perform calculations on a set of tempvars
Date   Sat, 25 Sep 2010 11:00:34 +0200

<>

The -min()- function does not take a -varlist-, but a comma-separated list
of arguments, hence the error. Try -egen, rowmin()- instead:
http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=pr0046

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of francesco
manaresi
Sent: Samstag, 25. September 2010 09:02
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Re: How to perform calculations on a set of tempvars

I created sets of tempvars of the type
var_`i'_`x'
containing the result of a statistic (say, a p-value) calculated for
variable `x' in State `i'

I would like to perform calculations and have the result in another
macro. For instance, I want the minimum of all the p-values by State.
However, Stata does not accept the following syntax:

tempvar minimum
g `minimum' = min(`var_`i'_*')

invalid syntax
r(198);

I believe this is because Stata doesn't accept asterisks (jolly
character) within macronames.
Am I right? What can I do alternatively, apart from creating hundreds
of real variables?