RE: st: Modeling % data

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Modeling % data
Date   Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:43:04 +0100

I'd say rather that -qreg- knows nothing of any bounds on the response. This ignorance may or may not bite you. As the original poster was quite explicit that the bounds occur in the data, the probability of being bitten seems higher.

The debate calls that over linear probability model vs logit or probit. Perhaps the linear probability model need not be as bad as often painted, but watch out nevertheless. When it produces ludicrous predictions, it really goes to town.

Austin Nichols

Maarten--
-qreg- requires no "fix" using higher powers of X in the general case.

I referred the original poster to -glm- as well, in
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-09/msg00981.html
but your objection to -qreg- is unfounded in the case I outlined--if X
is a continuous variable (did you mean unbounded, maybe?) there is no
reason it cannot have a linear effect on the conditional median of y,
even if y is bounded between 0 and 1, and even if there is a nonzero
fraction at the boundaries.  Of course, if a significant fraction of
the data piles up at the boundary, neither -qreg- nor -glm- will be a
particularly good model, and the typical researcher may prefer a MLE
that has a two-part flavor to it (requiring some strong assumptions
about the distribution of errors).