Re: st: RE: analysis of mixture experiments

Subject   Re: st: RE: analysis of mixture experiments
Date   Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:02:11 -0400

Dan Kahan <[email protected]>:

No special techniques are required; just include the proportions as
regressors (the abbreviation IV for RHS vars or covariates is frowned
upon in some circles, since it ordinarily stands for Instrumental
Variables in those circles).  But the interpretation may be a bit odd,
or you may have to come up with some clever marginal effect
calculations, as it no longer makes sense to speak of the effect of X1
on E(y|X) holding all other X constant--an impossibility for a set of
X vars that have a fixed sum (e.g. sum to one).  Now there are
infinite ways to model the effect of a one percentage point increase
in X1, for example increase X1 by .01 and decrease X2 and X3 by .005,
or increase X1 by .01 and decrease X2 by .01, and so on.  You could
write a little routine that models the effect of each covariate by
incrementing that one and decrementing each other one in proportion to
its current level, at which point marginal effects differ by
observation and you can employ the mean marginal effect or any other
measure discussed in -help margins-.