Re: st: Graphic displays or results from margins

From   Alex Gamma <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Graphic displays or results from margins
Date   Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:26:30 +0200

Scott Merryman:

> It would be nice to extract the information in the r(b) matrix to
> relabel the legend, but I am not sure how.

-matnames- (on SSC) seems to do what you want:

TITLE
     'MATNAMES': module to return matrix row and column names

DESCRIPTION/AUTHOR(S)

     matnames returns matrix row and column names as locals in r().
     The macro extended functions that retrieve matrix row and column
     names do not quote the names, so that if names contain spaces,
     the number of tokens may not match the number of rows or columns
     (that is, you may not be able to rename the matrix rows or
     columns with its own names that you just retrieved). matnames
     uses the Mata functions st_matrixrowstripe and st_matrixcolstripe
     to circumvent this difficulty.

     KW: matrix
     KW: names
     KW: row
     KW: column

     Requires: Stata version 9.2

     Distribution-Date: 20090712

     Author: Austin Nichols
     Support: email [email protected]

INSTALLATION FILES                             (type net install matnames)
     matnames.ado
     matnames.hlp

logit diabetes i.black i.female age i.female#c.age, nolog
margins female#black, at(age = (20(10)70)) post
matrix b = r(b)
matrix at = r(at)
mata
  b =st_matrix("b")
  b = rowshape(b,6)
  st_matrix("b", b)
end
clear
svmat at
svmat b
line b* at5

It would be nice to extract the information in the r(b) matrix to
relabel the legend, but I am not sure how.

Scott

Am 20.09.2010 um 17:24 schrieb Scott Merryman:

> -margins- does have the post option.
>
> As start, you could do something this:
>
> webuse nhanes2f, clear
> logit diabetes i.black i.female age i.female#c.age, nolog
> margins female#black, at(age = (20(10)70)) post
> matrix b = r(b)
> matrix at = r(at)
> mata
>   b =st_matrix("b")
>   b = rowshape(b,6)
>   st_matrix("b", b)
> end
> clear
> svmat at
> svmat b
> line b* at5
>
> It would be nice to extract the information in the r(b) matrix to
> relabel the legend, but I am not sure how.
>
> Scott
>

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Richard Williams
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I am warming up to the new margins command.  However, unlike the older
>> adjust command, margins does not include the ability to generate new
>> variables. I am therefore finding it hard to create graphic displays of the
>> results.
>>
>> Consider the following:
>>
>> webuse nhanes2f, clear
>> logit diabetes i.black i.female age i.female#c.age, nolog
>> margins female#black, at(age = (20(10)70))
>>
>> I would love to create a graphic where the Y axis was the probability of
>> diabetes, the X axis was age, and there were 4 separate lines, for black
>> males, black females, nonblack males, nonblack females. I imagine I could
>> generate variables myself (basically replicating what margins is doing) or
>> (ugh!) cut and paste results into an excel spreadsheet. But, is there some
>> nice, simple approach for doing this? The prgen command in Long & Freese's
>> spost9 suite of commands can do things like this, but it doesn't support
>> many of the features of margins, e.g. it doesn't work with factor variables,
>> and things like interaction terms are going to confuse it.

>> Richard Williams, Notre Dame Dept of Sociology
>> OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
>> HOME:   (574)289-5227
>> EMAIL:  [email protected]
>> WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam