Re: st: command or method for logistic quantile regression in Stata

From   Doug Hess <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: command or method for logistic quantile regression in Stata
Date   Fri, 17 Sep 2010 17:58:00 -0400

Thanks, Maarten. This article mentions the concept of "logistic
quantile regression" for bounded dependent variables; would something
like this suitable for binary variables? Cite:  "Logistic quantile
regression for bounded outcomes." Matteo Bottai, Bo Cai and Robert E.
McKeown. Statistics in medicine, Vol. 29, No. 2. (30 January 2010),
pp. 309-317; link: http://www.citeulike.org/user/guhjy/article/6306738

In other words, is there a good reason not to use the predicted
probabilities from a logit model to then chop the data up into
quantiles to see how some predictors variously impact across the
probability of the BDV hitting 1? I guess that can be done with
existing commands issued in steps, but I wasn't sure if there was code
just for this or caveats or special steps to take, or if it was just a
bad idea.

Or can other transforms or link functions be used with binary
dependent variables to allow for quantile regression?

In essence I'm asking the question that Abelson in his book
"Statistics as Principled Argument" encourages grad students to ask:
"Hey, can we do that?"

-Doug