st: Problem with excluded observations with -ginidesc-

From   "Stephen P. Jenkins" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Problem with excluded observations with -ginidesc-
Date   Wed, 15 Sep 2010 09:25:29 +0100

===============================
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:19:26 -0400
From: Joe McCrary <[email protected]>
Subject: st: Problem with excluded observations with -ginidesc-

Hi all.

I've been using -ginidesc- to develop inequality indices of
school-level measures for several districts in the U.S. My goal is to
be able to chart them longitudinally to see if enrollment policies
impacted the mixes of students (e.g., those eligible for free and
reduced-price meals (FRL)).

In 2003, one of the states did not report FRL data, so I wrote in a
statement to exclude those observations for that year:

. ginidesc  Pfrl03 if DistID~=3700720, by(DistID)

<snip>

Anyone using -ginidesc- with subgroups, especially when there are
cases that are being excluded, should carefully check their results
against -ineqdeco-.
=======================

Thanks for the plug.

Users are reminded to ensure that they have the latest version of
-ineqdeco- from SSC (-which ineqdeco- should yield "version 2.0.2"
from May 2008).

I say this because Joe and others probably would like access to the
subgroup estimates displayed: they are all stored in r(). The full
list of saved results is in the -ineqdeco- help file.

Stephen (author -ineqdeco-, and -ineqdec0-)
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Tel: +44 1206 873374.  Fax: +44 1206 873151.
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk ;
Survival Analysis using Stata:
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/iser/teaching/module-ec968
Downloadable papers and software: http://ideas.repec.org/e/pje7.html