RE: st: how to replicate Stata's random effects estimation results?

Subject   RE: st: how to replicate Stata's random effects estimation results?
Date   Fri, 3 Sep 2010 01:10:57 +0100

An alternative is look directly at the code Stata uses for random effects.  This can be found in the ado file xtreg_re.ado, which is sitting in your ..ado\base\x folder.  Reading Stata code isn't easy, but I think in this case it's a practical suggestion.

Looking at the code, I can see that the first 200 lines or so are mainly taken up with data preparation and obtaining the estimate of theta used for quasi-demeaning.  Once this is obtained, the code is very simple and there is in fact an internal call to -regress- to get the RE results (just after the comment in the file that says "obtain random-effects estimates").

Replicating the RE results thus amounts to replicating the derivation of theta, which is either a constant (in the case of balanced data) or a column vector.  There is an option to report theta, so you can start by replicating the RE estimator for balanced data by quasi-demeaning by hand using the reported theta.

The code for deriving theta looks pretty messy, though, I must confess.

--Mark