Re: st: how to replicate Stata's random effects estimation results?

Subject   Re: st: how to replicate Stata's random effects estimation results?
Date   Thu, 2 Sep 2010 17:20:49 -0500

You can probably replicate -xtreg-, re- using Mata, but to get as far
down as -regress-, you would need to perform a special transformation
of the data by the inverse square root of the covariance matrix of all
observations (the Kronecker product of the identity matrix and the
covariance matrix of residuals if the data are homoskedastic and
balanced). This will give you some insight into numerics such as
Cholesky decomposition of a matrix, but I doubt one can benefit
greatly from trying to get this by hand.