st: RE: panel data analysis - avplots

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: panel data analysis - avplots
Date   Fri, 27 Aug 2010 09:57:54 +0100

Most such diagnostic plot commands for use after model fitting that are part of official Stata [NB spelling] do indeed presume prior use of -regress- (or -anova-).

Some less restrictive commands are included in

SJ-10-1 gr0009_1  . . . .  Software update for model diagnostic graph commands
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        (help anovaplot, indexplot, modeldiag, ofrtplot, ovfplot,
        qfrplot, racplot, rdplot, regplot, rhetplot, rvfplot2,
        rvlrplot, rvpplot2 if installed)
        Q1/10   SJ 10(1):164
        provides new command rbinplot for plotting means or medians
        of residuals by bins; provides new options for smoothing
        using restricted cubic splines; updates anova examples

SJ-4-4  gr0009  . . . . . . . . . . Speaking Stata: Graphing model diagnostics
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        (help anovaplot, indexplot, modeldiag, ofrtplot, ovfplot,
        qfrplot, racplot, rdplot, regplot, rhetplot, rvfplot2,
        rvlrplot, rvpplot2 if installed)
        Q4/04   SJ 4(4):449--475
        plotting diagnostic information calculated from residuals
        and fitted values from regression models with continuous

but that package does not include an added variable plot commmand.

More positively, the main trick is to look carefully at the -postestimation- help. Very often a diagnostic plot that you want is just a standard -twoway- command applied to some variant of the predictions, residuals, etc.

David Tandberg

I am using the xtreg command for analyzing panel data. I want to develop
avplots in order to graphically show the impact of various independent
variables holding the other independent variables constant.

However STATA is returning an error: "last estimates not found". However,
when I drop the xt and only use the reg command it will produce my desired
avplots.

I have searched on-line and cannot find any help. Is there an option for
producing avplots when conducting panel data analysis using the xt command
or some other solution I am not aware of?