Re: st: interpretation of squared term

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: interpretation of squared term
Date   Fri, 27 Aug 2010 07:13:43 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 26/8/10, Sarah Elizabeth Edgington wrote:
> The basic intuition here is that you're generating a
> quadratic curve.  If you have a positive effect of age
> and a negative effect of age squared that means that as
> people get older the effect of age is lessoned.

This may or may not be the case, that just depends on
where the maximum of that curve is. So if you want to
interpret just the coefficients, you need to be able to
derive where the maximum is and what the shape of the
curve is. It is not hard, but it requires that both you
and your readers know how to this arithmatic, which is
probably too much to ask for most readerships. In other
words, the only way to comunicate these effects is to
graph it.

The alternative is to represent the non-linearity with a
linear spline. Those coefficients can be interpreted
directly without graphing.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis