Re: st: Tobit with - cmp -

From   "Giacomo Zanello" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Tobit with - cmp -
Date   Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:36:52 +0100

Thanks Martin for pointing me out were I was wrong.

Maarten, lesson learnt: next time I will be more clear and include as much information as possible.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Maarten buis" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: st: Tobit with - cmp -

--- On Thu, 19/8/10, Giacomo Zanello wrote:
I am learning to use the - cmp - command, but I cannot
replicate the tobit example in Roodman, 2009 with
Stata 11.1. Could someone confirm me if the following
codes - tobit - and - cmp - give the same output? When
I run them, I got different results.

. cmp setup
. webuse laborsup, clear
. tobit fem_inc kids male_educ, ll
. cmp (fem_inc = kids male_educ), ind("cond(fem_inc,
$cmp_cont, $cmp_left)")

It is in your own interest to give us the information
we need to answer your question. The Statalist FAQ
gives excelent advise on how to do that. You ignored
two important recommendations. I leave it up to you
to find out what they are. You can find a link to the
FAQ at the bottom of each message on the statalist.

I have tried your code using the version of -cmp- I
downloaded from SSC by typing in Stata:
-ssc install cmp-.

With this version I got as close to the output of
-tobit- as I expected to come given the difference
in estimation method.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie