st: Re: RE: Re: Your paper on Stata,SAS and SPSS

From   "John F Hall" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: RE: Re: Your paper on Stata,SAS and SPSS
Date   Tue, 10 Aug 2010 21:14:41 +0200

Russel

Short of dragging selected text from them all, it would be easier if I just forwarded the main exchanges as attachments along with some of the links. Is this OK with you?

I see David Hitchin has already added a comment about glassblowers, thus adding them to carpenters and plumbers..

John
----- Original Message ----- From: Russel Wildeman
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:13 AM
Subject: st: RE: Re: Your paper on Stata,SAS and SPSS

Thanks John for an interesting discussion and per always for sharing your
thoughts with the rest of us.

Do you have any electronic references to the following remarks you made in
this email? Or where I can access the debate?

"There has also been an interesting exchange between a bunch of Brits on the

relationship of the then Social Science Research Council (funding agency) to

the development of quantitative methods, with special reference to
sociology.  Jennifer Platt (Emeritus Prof of Sociology, Sussex) is the
official historian of the Briitish Sociological Association and recently
presented a paper at the World Congress of Sociology, Gothenberg, in a
session for the Resarch Cttee on the History of Sociology about deliberate
attempts to change the direction of sociology."

With thanks,
Russell Wildeman