Re : st: AW: count with forval and 2 conditions

From   LY Pierrem <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re : st: AW: count with forval and 2 conditions
Date   Fri, 6 Aug 2010 09:36:56 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Martin,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I think you were right. After looking at the document suggested, and several counts by hand to cross check, it seems that the following code produces the desired results. The sort by region and timeposted was indeed what fixed it. (note: the fact that comp2 is initially generated equal to comp1 is obviously irrelevant, it could just be zero or something...)

//maximum possible
sort region timeposted
gen comp2=comp1

//check second condition
//conditional on first being met
forv i =1/`=_N'{
    qui cou if timefunded>=timeposted[`i'] & region == region[`i'] in 1/`i'
    replace comp2=`r(N)'-1 in `i'
}

If anybody finds something wrong with this, please let me know. But I'm now almost sure this works. I'll do a few more hand checks to be even more sure.

Many thanks, Martin! You made my week.

Pierre