st: RE: AW: AW: RE: AW: RE: Transposing datasets

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: AW: AW: RE: AW: RE: Transposing datasets
Date   Mon, 2 Aug 2010 14:34:59 +0100

No arguments here.

Sometimes we all just want to get results quickly and accurately, and
care not a jot about logic. Sometimes understanding exactly what is
going on is the best prescription because it is all too likely that your
next such problem will not be identical and you will need to know how to
change the solution.

Martin Weiss

Nick himself advocated "first principles" in
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-05/msg01165.html, btw...

Martin Weiss

"( Also, I learned something about using subinstr() in the rename
command
from your post, thanks )"

Cheers! I love to work from first principles whenever possible, so my
use of
-subinstr()- was not intended to detract from the appeal of NJC`s
-findit
renvars-...

Eric Booth