Re: st: RE: multi-dimensional chi-squared?

Subject   Re: st: RE: multi-dimensional chi-squared?
Date   Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:18:22 -0400

Judy <[email protected]>:

There is almost certainly dependence over time--these products take
turns being on sale, right?  And I presume you have a more elaborate
theory to test; e.g. http://www.jstor.org/stable/2006734 or
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?cites=9915702171871712194 for some
relevant theory (i.e. is there a first mover in this sale price game?)

You might consider reformulating this as a logit or alternative binary
regression using your panel data, where each obs is a product in a
time period, and you have dummies on the RHS for one, two, or three
other products on sale (the excluded group-- zero --corresponds to the
"one product tends to be on sale at a time" hypothesis, so the joint
test on the three dummies is the one you want, I think).  Then you can
start thinking about the correlated error structure (including the
ineluctable serial correlation), mixed and random effects, etc.
Ideally, I think you would want some instruments, maybe demand
shifters, as well, depending on your theory.  Maybe that means going
to a -ivprobit- or -gmm- model, or using a triangular simultaneous
equation if there is a first mover.