st: cluster() option in ivreg2

From   Bond Tiger <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: cluster() option in ivreg2
Date   Mon, 19 Jul 2010 08:00:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I have a question on the cluster() option in ivreg2:

I have two data sets (cross-section), containing same variables.

(1) In one data set, (say data set 'A'), I have duplicate observations i.e. same
firm repeated for different workers working in that firm.

For example:

FirmIDWorkerIDSavings
0010011500
00100121000
0010013900
0010014750
00200211200
00200221000
0030031700
0030032650
00300332000
etc.

(This is like the retirement saving example in Jeffrey Wooldridge, where each
firm represents a group or cluster).

In order to correct for within-cluster correlation, I am considering 'ivreg2,
cluster()' in STATA.

(a) In this case, is it necessary to create a cluster sample and then do the
estimation? Or, the option (ivreg2, cluster()) above will suffice to control for
any within-cluster correlation?

(b) What if there is any between firm correlation i.e. if there is any
correlation between say Firm with ID 001 and Firm with ID 002 (because two
different firms may have similar type of retirement policies or workers in the
two firms may have common characteristics) ?

(2) In the second data set, I have deleted the duplicate FirmIDs and selected
one worker per firm randomly and my data set (say, data set 'B') looks as
following:

FirmIDWorkerIDSavings
00100121000
00200211200
0030032650
etc.

I have used 'ivreg cluster()' option here also and it works.

(a) But is there any necessity to use cluster() option here? Is there any
within-cluster correlation (since there is no grouping or cluster)?

(b) Do we use the cluster() option to control for within-cluster correlation in
a data set like 'A' only?

Please let me know this.

I will appreciate any help.

Thank you,