AW: st: Remove numbers from variable name

Subject   AW: st: Remove numbers from variable name
Date   Tue, 29 Jun 2010 13:31:08 +0200

<>

So, having switched the branches of the (programming) -if-, here is a
sensible solution that puts the question into a -note-. (The maximum length
of -varname-s is 32, the maximum for the -note- ranges from 8,681 to 67,784,
depending on Rasika`s flavour of Stata.)

On the other hand, given that the -varname-s must have been acceptable when
they found their way into Stata, they must already comply with the 32 limit,
so Rasika should decide what to do. In my view, it amounts to a slight abuse
of -varname-s to fill them with the string of the question, but hey, that is
just me...

*************
clear*
//generate data
gen question5doyouhave=""
gen question6areyou=""
gen question16haveyouever=""

foreach v of var question* {
	 if regexm("`v'", "^question[1-9][0-9].*") {
		di in r "if-branch"
		local newname = substr("`v'", 1, 10)
		local notetxt = substr("`v'", 11, .)
		ren `v' `newname'
		note `newname': The question was: `notetxt'
	}
		else if regexm("`v'", "^question[1-9].*") {
		di in r "else-branch"
		local newname = substr("`v'", 1, 9)
		local notetxt = substr("`v'", 10, .)
		ren `v' `newname'
		note `newname': The question was: `notetxt'
	}
	else di "`v': problematic name"
}

//inspect the result: