Re: AW: st: xttrans accuracy

From   Dmitriy Krichevskiy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: AW: st: xttrans accuracy
Date   Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:52:07 -0400

Thank you very much for all of your input,
The -xttrans3- (called xttrans2- by Maartrten) produces the same type
of matrix with some additional r(). But wouldn't it be easier just to
stop short one step and display actual fractions so system of
equations can be easily formed. Avoiding the rounding issue entirely
(I'll try to do that next). Granted, the original -xttrans- was not
meant for this purpose at all.
As always, Statalisters Rock, thanks for all of your help.
Dmitriy

On 6/23/10, Scott Merryman <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 5:06 AM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 2. Whether rounded fractions sum to 1 exactly not only involves machine
>> precision issues but also provides some mathematical challenges. See for
>> example
>>
>> Persi Diaconis and David Freedman
>> 1979
>> On Rounding Percentages
>> Journal of the American Statistical Association 74: 359-364.
>>
>> -- and its references.
>
> This is online at:
>
>  http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~cgates/PERSI/papers/freedman79.pdf
>
> Scott

Dmitriy Krichevskiy Ph.D. Candidate
Economics Department
Florida International University
www.fiu.edu/~dkrichev

Research Associate, College of Education
Lumina Foundation Project