st: AW: constructing a panel

Subject   st: AW: constructing a panel
Date   Tue, 22 Jun 2010 18:06:29 +0200

<>

So this is a first shot:

*************
clear*

input byte id int	date byte(x y z)
1	2001	1	1	15
1	2003	2	1	15
2	2000	1	1	15
3 	2001	1	2	17
3	2003	3	2	17
4	2000	1	1	17
4	2003	2	1	17
end

fillin id date
gen byte transact =!_fillin
drop _fillin

list, noo sepby(id)
*************

There are no observations for 2002/2004 initially, so -fillin- cannot add
them to all ids. Is that also true for your real data?

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von DC
Gesendet: Dienstag, 22. Juni 2010 17:52
An: Statalist Statalist
Betreff: st: constructing a panel

Hi,

I have a problem someone with more expertise may be able to help me
with. I have data in transactions form on housing transactions that I
want to transform
into a balanced panel running over several years

Specifically, I have data of the following form with x denoting a
time- varying house characteristic; y denotes a  permanent house
characteristic, and z denotes a permanent neighborhood characteristic:

id 	date 	x	y 	z
1	2001	1	1	15
1	2003	2	1	15
2	2000	1	1	15
3 	2001	1	2	17
3	2003	3	2	17
4	2000	1	1	17
4	2003	2	1	17

The key feature is that I only observe the house when it is transacted
so the years when it did not transact will have a transaction
indicator 0 like this:

id 	date 	transact		x 	y	z
1	2000		0		 . 	1	15
1	2001		1		1	1	15
1	2002		0		1	1	15
1	2003		1		2	1	15
1	2004		0		2	1	15
2	2000		1		1 	1	15
2	2001		0		1	1	15
2	2002		0		1	1	15
2	2003		0		1	1	15
2	2004		0		1	1	15
3	2000		0		 . 	1	17
3	2001		1		1	1	17
3	2002		0		1	1	17
3	2003		1		3	1	17
3	2004		0		3	1	17
4	2000		1		1	1	17
4	2001		0		1	1	17
4	2002		0		1	1	17
4	2003		1		2	1	17
4	2004		0		2	1	17

I'm pretty sure I should be using expand but not sure how to get this
right. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Regards,
Marcus

--
Marcus Casey, Ph.D.