Re: st: re: binary variables

From   Natalie Trapp <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: re: binary variables
Date   Thu, 03 Jun 2010 17:16:54 +0200

Thank you so much for all the comments. They were very helpful.

@Martin: I am not so convenient with Stata, so I haven't found out all the tools yet. Though I made the dofile, which generates the binary variables, with the GAMS program; so it wasn't much work.

@ Maarten: Ile de France, in my dataset is not Paris only but also the districts surrounding the city, so I do have 94 observations in this region. Other regions that are not omitted may have even less observations, or regions that are omitted may have many more observations. This wouldn't explain why Stata omits these variables.

I think the "areg" command is not appropriate as I have several different crops growing on one farm, so that I have several observations for one individual and included an indicator for each individual.

The "xtreg" command works very well, although I am still not sure about the disadvantages of a fixed effects model. And still the problem will remain when I want to explain the differences between regions.

Maybe there is a similarity between some regions that are not obvious, so I have to aggregate some regions.

So, thank you very much once again. You gave me many more ideas!
Natalie